Tuesday, November 16, 2010

'Till We Have Faces (When I Was Born)


When I was born I had no face
Or hands or feet, my life disgraced;
But change came quickly from the skies
When brightest lightening gave me eyes
The splendid colors there to see
But hearing hid itself from me.
‘til thunder shook my body still
I saw the quaking, heard the chill.
The quiet voice that gave me ears
Ne’er ceased to speak through silent tears
And now I listen quietly
Though footless running tires me
My name was entered in a race
I ran to win and feet were placed
Upon my legs that I might run,
Not stopping ‘til I reached the sun
Yet running didn’t do me well
Since I could see but couldn’t feel
I saw a rose and heard it call
I needed touch once and for all
And as the thorns brought pain and harm
I found some hands upon my arms
Then the rain fell down in floods
As from Your side came gushing blood
It splashed upon the pavement here
And washed away my every fear
I saw it fall down from the sky
I heard it hit my tired eyes
I ran to hide myself from cold
And caught the drops with fingers bold
When from the ground aroma rose
The raging storm gave me a nose
But all of this without some lips
Left me alone, a sinking ship
An angel flew from heaven high
With burning coals he cauterized
My mouth and what it left behind
Not scars, but lips, a tongue refined
And also the ability
To taste, to speak, to breathe, to sing
The death that brought me everything
Taught me to die in heaven’s wings
And now I’m born in glory’s grace
With hands, and feet, and now a face

Inspired by Luke 8:10, the classic novel "'Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis, and the hymn "Let Us Love and Sing and Wonder"

"Let us love the Lord who bought us Pitied us when enemies Called us by His grace and taught us Gave us ears and gave us eyes"

2 comments:

  1. I like it. Is the storm imagery from when Orual screwed up Psyche's life in the valley?

    ReplyDelete